Education Assistant – Change Inc.
(Online Community Animator)
Position: Education Assistant/Online Community Animator – Change Inc.
Position Location: Toronto, Ontario
Positions Available: (2)
Start Date: September 6, 2011
Details: 8 hours per week
Applications due: August 21, 2011
TakingITGlobal (TIG) is an international organization combining youth, technology and global community to create positive global change.
TakingITGlobal is seeking two (2) Community Animators for their Change Inc. E-course to take part in a 16-week volunteer internship placement in our Toronto office.
This part-time opportunity is for someone looking to develop their experience working in the field of Communications or Education in a fast-paced and dynamic not-for-profit workspace. Working in our downtown Toronto office under the stewardship of the Change Inc. Program Manager, our ideal candidate will bring solid communication skills, superior organizational abilities, strong customer-service orientation and cultural competency to the job. Our goal is to provide a unique, hands-on training opportunity, working with you to ignite a positive space for learning and collaboration for emerging social innovators.
Is this job right for you?
• Do you dig our approach to social change?
• Are you comfortable communicating with individuals from a variety of cultures?
• Are you a ‘spark plug’ with the ability to create connections between people and ideas?
• Do you enjoy supporting others while they learn and grow?
If you answered ‘yes’ to the above questions, read on!
TakingITGlobal is an international organization lead by youth, empowered by technology. TakingITGlobal (TIG) connects youth from around the world to find inspiration, information and get involved in improving their local, regional and global communities.
About Change Inc.
Change Inc.: Cultivating Young Social Entrepreneurs, (www.changeinc.ca) led by TakingITGlobal and the Public Policy Forum, aims to develop the entrepreneurship skills of Ontario youth to imagine and create their own social change projects by facilitating learning, skill building and mentoring opportunities between outstanding youth and established social entrepreneurs. Through an interactive, self-directed e-course, 100 Ontario youth aged 16-21 can take part in a unique opportunity to develop essential social entrepreneurship skills, including team building, project management, communications and leveraging technology to design social change projects.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Provide weekly support during the e-course to participants as they complete lessons and build their project portfolios
• Troubleshoot technical, administrative and interpersonal problems
• Communicate via email and in the online classroom in a sensitive and effective way
• Facilitate greater understanding of the e-course curriculum
• Spur collaboration by connecting participants with similar interests
• Drive classroom engagement through seeds of inspiration and affirmation
• Encourage peer-to-peer interaction via assigned Peer Groups
• Be present for all synchronous e-course events such as the orientation and webinars
• Liaise with the TIG Tech team to address technical issues related to the online classroom
• Provide administrative support to the Change Inc. Program Manager as needed
• Experience in a communications or facilitator role preferred
• Cultural competency and ability to communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds is a must
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proficiency with computers (word processing, email, internet) and social networking sites including tigweb.org, Facebook and Twitter
• Effective time management and organizational skills
• People skills, enthusiasm and passion
• Sound judgment and comfort working autonomously
• A low-stress attitude in a buzzing environment
• Familiarity with – and keen interest in – social innovation
• Willingness to do whatever it takes…can-do attitude!!
TakingITGlobal is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
This position is offered on a 4 month basis beginning September 6, 2011. The candidate should be available to work up to 8 hours per week. The successful candidate may request a travel stipend.
Application Details: Application screening will be conducted on an ongoing basis. Please electronically submit a resume and cover letter at your earliest convenience to:
Contact: Frank Goerz, Human Resources
(include the title of the position in the subject of the e-mail)
Mail: 19 Duncan Street, Suite 505, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 3H1
For Inquiries: 416-977-9363 ext. 315
Please electronically mail your cover letter and resume and include the title of the position in the subject line of your email and let us know how you heard about the position. Please do not mail or personally submit resumes, as we are a small organization and do not have the capacity to respond.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications and inquiries we receive; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This opportunity was posted by:
TakingITGlobal (TIG) is an international organization, led by youth, empowered by technology. TIG brings together young people in more than 200 countries within international networks to collaborate on concrete projects addressing global problems and creating positive change.