TakingITGlobal seeks a motivated, creative and outgoing young person for the virtual volunteer position of English Discussion Board Moderator. If you're interested in youth engagement in an online environment, international cultural production, gaining experience in online media and working in a high-energy Community, this could be your ideal placement.
TakingITGlobal is an international organization, led by youth and enabled by technology.
TakingITGlobal connects youth to inspiration, information and involvement in their local and global communities. Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, with a growing worldwide presence, the organization's flagship program is TakingITGlobal.org (www.takingitglobal.org), the most popular online community for young people interested in connecting across cultures and making a difference, with hundreds of thousands of visitors each month.
As a virtual volunteer with TakingITGlobal you will be part of a team of youth leaders and innovators who create opportunities for more than 300,000 youth around the world!
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Moderating the Discussion Boards by:
- Moderating online discussion boards – acting as an observer and following guidelines;
- Assisting members participating in online discussions by encouraging intelligent dialogue through insightful questions and promoting useful conversation;
- Not publicly forming any biased opinions on the board(s);
- Facilitating and ensuring that conversations remain within the scope of the initial post;
- Checking validity of statements made within the threads to the best of your ability;
3. Participate in the Moderator Team by:
- Attending meetings;
- Ensuring on-going communication with Online Community Manager and Online Community Animator;
- Sending monthly reports to Online Community Manager and Online Community Animator.
4. Other duties, as necessary.
-Prior active participation and engagement in TIG English Discussion Boards
- Fully fluent in English (excellent writing skills and spoken fluency). Fluency means a high level of both writing and speaking.
-Ability to work in a collaborative and virtual context;
-Involvement with youth organizations or other non-profit groups considered an asset;
-Able to multitask and work in a fast-paced learning environment, adeptly managing multiple shifting priorities;
-Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc), web-browsing and research, email use, etc. experience in multimedia, web and training is an asset;
- Excellent organization and time-management skills;
-Interest or background in current affairs, international issues and human rights, with particular interest in youth engagement and information and communications technologies.
Why volunteer with TakingITGlobal?
- This is a great opportunity for youth interested in an expanded volunteer opportunity and greater responsibility within our organization. This position gives you a chance to play a role in “inspiring, informing and involving” other young people, as you help to expand the networking possibilities for youth in your Region.
- TakingITGlobal has a strong international reputation within the NGO, non-profit, and charity sectors, and this reputation is growing. Experience at TakingITGlobal will be respected by future employers, and TakingITGlobal’s collaborative nature means volunteers may grow a solid professional network, and gain experience vital for future job opportunities.
- TakingITGlobal is a young, vibrant and positive work environment! As a youth-led, youth-focused organization you will be working amongst peers in a collaborative structure. Although head-quartered in Toronto, TakingITGlobal is an international organization and you will have the opportunity to work with colleagues from all parts of the world! We value and acknowledge the work of volunteers, and as a Coordinator you will be featured on our Multilingual Page, and will be eligible for our TIGStar Monthly Award, the results of which are shared regularly with our international staff.
Interested applicants should send their resume and a cover letter to Sena Hussain, Online Community Manager, at email@example.com