The position is offered for an initial 6 month commitment at a minimum of 5 hours per week.
TakingITGlobal seeks a motivated, creative and outgoing young person for the virtual volunteer position of Chinese Volunteer Translator. If you're interested in youth engagement in an online environment, international research work, gaining experience in online media and working in a high-energy Community, this could be your ideal placement.
TakingITGlobal is an international organization, led by youth and enabled by technology. TakingITGlobal connects youth to inspiration, information and involvement in their local and global communities. Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, with a growing worldwide presence, the organization's flagship program is TakingITGlobal.org (www.takingitglobal.org), the most popular online community for young people interested in connecting across cultures and making a difference, with hundreds of thousands of visitors each month.
As a virtual volunteer with TakingITGlobal you will be part of a team of youth leaders and innovators who create opportunities for more than 200,000 youth around the world!
-English to "Chinese" translations: translate ongoing content for monthly themes and various sections of the TakingITGlobal website into "Chinese" using the translation tool;
- Participate in "Chinese" Team meetings on a monthly basis;
-Active participation on the site in "Chinese" an asset (blog posts, contributions to discussion board threads, Panorama articles or Global Gallery submissions, etc.)
- On going communication with Chinese Coordinator and Multilingual Programs Manager;
- Sending Monthly Reports to Language & Engagement Coordinator;
- Other duties, as necessary.
- Fully fluent in "Chinese" and English (excellent writing skills and spoken fluency). Fluency means a high level of both writing and speaking (mother-tongue speakers are preferred). Experience living and working in a "Chinese"- speaking country an asset. Translation experience considered ideal.
- Ability to work in a collaborative and virtual context
- Interest or background in current affairs, the environment, international issues or human rights, with particular interest in youth engagement and information and communications technologies.
(translate the following into “Chinese” and submit along with your application)
TakingITGlobal is an international organization, led by youth, and empowered by technology. TakingITGlobal allows young people to connect to opportunities, and collaborate on concrete projects that address global problems and create positive change. TakingITGlobal’s core program, TakingITGlobal.org, brings together young people from over 200 countries, and is the largest online community of youth taking action to improve their local and global communities. Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, TakingITGlobal is uniquely positioned at the intersection of key global trends with the aim of:
• Strengthening the capacity of young people as leaders and stakeholders
• Fostering cross-cultural dialogue and understanding
• Increasing awareness and involvement in global issues
Why volunteer with TakingITGlobal?
- This is a great opportunity for you to play a role in “inspiring, informing and involving” other young Portuguese-speaking people , as you help to expand the networking possibilities for youth in your Region.
- The staff at TakingITGlobal encompass a broad range of skills including various types of web development, design, marketing, evaluation and surveys, fundraising, writing, editing, and strategy. The organization provides a good platform to improve and learn new skills due to the varied range of projects, and the opportunity to learn from others.
- TakingITGlobal has a strong international reputation within the NGO, non-profit, and charity sectors, and this reputation is growing. Experience at TakingITGlobal will be respected by future employers, and TakingITGlobal’s collaborative nature means volunteers may grow a solid professional network, and gain experience vital for future job opportunities.
- TakingITGlobal is a young, vibrant and positive work environment! As a youth-led, youth-focused organization you will be working amongst peers in a collaborative structure. Although head-quartered in Toronto, TakingITGlobal is an international organization and you will have the opportunity to work with colleagues from all parts of the world! We value and acknowledge the work of volunteers, and as a volunteer you will be eligible for our TIGStar Monthly Award, the results of which are shared regularly with our international staff.
- TakingITGlobal’s mission is essentially altruistic, and team members have the opportunity to put their skills and energy to work for a ‘non-profit’, ‘good cause’. Volunteers can get a thrill out of the ‘cutting edge’ nature of TakingITGlobal’s work, the clear growth in our reach, and the positive feedback provided by members and partners. Moreover, as part of our Multilingual Team you will have the chance to promote your country’s culture through our international platform.
To learn more about our online volunteers, visit http://volunteers.tigweb.org/
To learn more about the multilingual team, visit http://multilingual.tigweb.org
Interested applicants should send their resume and a cover letter to email@example.com