CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation is one of the leading and most diverse international civil society networks, with members and partners in more than 100 countries and a staff of 35 people from over 20 countries. CIVICUS seeks to strengthen citizen action and civil society throughout the world, especially in areas where participatory democracy and citizens’ freedom of association are threatened. CIVICUS has a vision of a global community of active, engaged citizens committed to the creation of a more just and equitable world. CIVICUS, with its secretariat headquarters in Johannesburg and small offices in Geneva, London and New York, is currently expanding its physical presence in strategic locations to achieve more impact for the alliance during 2014.
The overall purpose of this internship will be to strengthen CIVICUS’ engagement with the European Union, to recruit new members to the CIVICUS alliance from across Europe, and to strengthen CIVICUS’ relationship with existing Brussels-based members.
The intern will be supervised by CIVICUS’ Head of Strategy (based in London) and will work closely on a daily basis with CIVICUS’ Membership Officer (based in Johannesburg). The intern will be based at the Brussels office of CIVICUS member the Association of Local Democracy Agencies (ALDA) and, as the only CIVICUS staff located in Brussels, will be expected to work both remotely with CIVICUS staff and in Brussels with ALDA staff.
Specific responsibilities will include:
Increasing CIVICUS’ physical presence and impact in Europe (Time Allocation 50%)
• Sharing information (provided by ALDA) with CIVICUS and its networks regarding policies and decisions of European institutions relevant for civil society strengthening;
• Identifying relevant opportunities for CIVICUS and civil society to participate in the decision-making process at the European Union/Commission/Parliament level;
• Working with CIVICUS’ resource mobilisation team to identify, research and follow up funding opportunities for CIVICUS within Europe;
• Participating in meetings with and developing partnerships with key CIVICUS partners in Brussels, including civil society NGOs, networks, governments, and media;
• Organising Brussels events, workshops, meetings and report launches on behalf of different CIVICUS project and unit teams, as required;
• Helping to develop further the partnership between CIVICUS and ALDA.
Engaging and recruiting CIVICUS members (Time Allocation 30%)
• Identifying strategic new members and developing tailored recruitment actions, especially in Europe;
• Supporting CIVICUS’ Membership Officer to implement CIVICUS’ new membership strategy;
• Helping CIVICUS to recruit new organisational members and new individual members in Europe;
• Helping to map CIVICUS representation, networks and opportunities in the Europe region;
• Supporting the production of new membership recruitment and engagement materials;
• Helping to recruit European national associations to the Affinity Group of National Associations (AGNA) and strengthening the AGNA network’s collaboration with regional platforms such as the European Network of National Associatons (ENNA);
Contributing to the development and implementation of CIVICUS projects (Time Allocation 20%)
• Assisting, as required, the CIVICUS’ Head of Strategy to help develop, incubate and implement a range of new CIVICUS projects, including for example Big Development Dashboard, an EC-funded project on post-2015 civil society participation, and the CIVICUS Youth Task Force.
• Performing other duties as required.
Learning opportunities for the intern:
• General understanding of the work and mission of CIVICUS, the role of members and partners at national and global level and of civil society strengthening;
• Insight and hands-on experience in CIVICUS’s role in recruiting members and promoting the alliance;
• Becoming more familiar with working in a global alliance and in a multicultural environment;
• Strengthened knowledge and understanding of the concept of civic space and civil society by accessing relevant CIVICUS and other publications.
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience:
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent in development studies, international relations, political science, economics, anthropology, sociology, public policy, or a related field;
• Previous experience in communications management, advocacy campaigns, partnership building, marketing (ideally in the non-profit sector), or project design;
• Good understanding, knowledge or experience of European civil society networks and/or EU institutions and funding mechanisms and some understanding, knowledge or experience of international civil society networks;
• Good oral and written communications skills;
• Language skills: Written and spoken proficiency in English and French;
• Computer and internet proficiency, including MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
• Self-motivated and able to work effectively with geographically distant working relationships.
• Master’s Degree or equivalent in development studies, international relations, political science, economics, anthropology, sociology, public policy, or a related field;
• Language skills: Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian or Chinese.
Location: Brussels, Belgium. Candidates must already have the right to work in Brussels for the duration of the internship, and will be asked for proof of right to work before taking up the internship.
Duration of internship: The internship is expected to take place for a minimum 6 month period starting in February 2014, but shorter placements will also be considered.
Nature of position:
This is an unpaid internship and voluntary position only. The internship is located formally and legally with the Association of Local Democracy Agencies (ALDA), a CIVICUS member working in Brussels. ALDA will reimburse the intern for lunch and travel expenses up to a maximum of 150 Euros per month.
Interested applicants should submit a detailed CV, a short cover letter outlining their aspirations, availability and suitability for the role and the contact details of three current referees to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, 12 February 2014.
This opportunity was posted by:
CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation
CIVICUS programmes aim to ensure the unfettered ability of citizens, and the voluntary organisations that they organise, to enjoy the rights of free association and free speech and to participate in the full range of civic life (political, economic, cultural, educational,...