Youth Movements Project Assistant
Position:Youth Movements Project Assistant
Position Location: Toronto, Ontario
Start Date: May 1st, 2012
Details: 20-24 hours per week
Applications due: March 26th, 2012
We are an international organization combining youth, technology and global community to create positive global change.
TakingITGlobal (TIG) is seeking a Youth Movements Project Assistant to take part in a 4-month volunteer internship placement in our Toronto office.
If you are who we are looking for – or know someone else that might be – keep reading to get to know us a little better and we’ll be expectantly waiting to hear from you at your earliest convenience.
~The TIG Team
TakingITGlobal is an international organization lead by youth, empowered by technology. TakingITGlobal (TIG) connects youth from around the world to find inspiration, information and get involved in improving their local, regional and global communities.
YouthMovements.org is a collaborative program which connects and maps youth led and youth serving projects globally. It aims to strengthen collaboration, knowledge sharing and momentum across the sector. The program involves:
• YouthMovements.org open access map – feeds from multiple datasets will display years of historical data and current projects into one interface allowing young people to quickly and easily identify how to get involved.
• Connecting leaders in the youth development and youth mobilization space via a series of monthly inquiry groups to explore best practices, lessons learned, current campaign logistics and common challenges.
• Building the Knowledge Hub: a platform to share relevant resources, toolkits, case studies to help young leaders run their projects more effectively.
• Providing new collaborative project infrastructure for the next generation of youth to run their own initiatives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Support YouthMovements.org Project Manager and team
• Assist with the development and implementation of the youth movements program including social media strategy
• Provide input, training and feedback to partners on the Open Access Map, Knowledge Hub and project pages
• Research, Data entry, email support, admin and trouble shooting.
• Actively participate in TIG, team meetings and the YouthMovements.org blog, share thoughts, ideas, and suggestions as they arise
• Prepare a handover note to help to orient the next individual filling this role
• Has studied and/or demonstrated interest in a related field (e.g. Education, GIS, Communications, Media, Development, International relations, etc.)
• Significant interest in youth issues, engagement and activism
• High level of media literacy and an understanding of web tools
• Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software, other software, and internet-based research
• Detail oriented, organized, with strong time management skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
• Able to work independently and collaboratively in a fast paced office environment, with multiple shifting priorities
• Leadership skills and facilitation experience
• Willingness to learn new things and eagerness to acquire new skills
• Significant interest in youth-related issues and experience working with young people from a wide variety of cultures
• Fluency in English and possibly other languages
• Experience working and/or volunteering in the non-profit sector
• International work or volunteer experience
TakingITGlobal is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
Candidates should be available to work 16 hours per week. The successful candidate may request a travel stipend.
Application Details: Application screening will be conducted on an ongoing basis. Please electronically submit a resume and cover letter at your earliest convenience to:
Contact: Human Resources
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (include the title of the position in the subject of the e-mail)
Mail: 19 Duncan Street, Suite 505, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 3H1, Canada
For Inquiries: 416-977-9363
Please electronically mail your cover letter and resume and include the title of the position in the subject line of your email and let us know how you heard about the position. Please do not mail or personally submit resumes, as we are a small organization and do not have the capacity to respond.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications and inquiries we receive; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.