TakingITGlobal seeks motivated, creative and outgoing young people to join our team of Online Volunteers!
As a Moderator on our English Discussion Board, you will be part of a team that maintains the smooth-running of interactions on our dynamic and cross-cultural space.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Moderating the Discussion Boards by:
- Moderating online discussion boards – acting as an observer and following guidelines;
- Assisting members participating in online discussions by encouraging intelligent dialogue through insightful questions and promoting useful conversation;
- Not publicly forming any biased opinions on the board(s);
- Facilitating and ensuring that conversations remain within the scope of the initial post;
- Checking validity of statements made within the threads to the best of your ability;
2. Participate in the Moderator Team by:
- Attending meetings;
- Ensuring on-going communication with Online Community Manager and Online Community Animator;
- Sending monthly reports to Online Community Manager and Online Community Animator.
3. Other duties, as necessary
The skills required for virtual volunteering can be quite different from those required for traditional volunteering – which is usually in-person and takes place during specific hours. Our volunteers are from all over the world, work in different time zones, and in different environments, and stay in contact with fellow team members and supervisors through things like e-mail, instant messaging and Skype. Virtual volunteers should be prepared to work independently and also to make the effort to stay in touch with teammates and supervisors.
-Prior active participation and engagement in TIG English Discussion Boards
- Fully fluent in English (excellent writing skills and spoken fluency). Fluency means a high level of both writing and speaking.
-Ability to work in a collaborative and virtual context;
-Involvement with youth organizations or other non-profit groups considered an asset;
-Able to multitask and work in a fast-paced learning environment, adeptly managing multiple shifting priorities;
-Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc), web-browsing and research, email use, etc. experience in multimedia, web and training is an asset;
- Excellent organization and time-management skills;
-Interest or background in current affairs, international issues and human rights, with particular interest in youth engagement and information and communications technologies.
TakingITGlobal is an international organization lead by youth, empowered by technology. TakingITGlobal (TIG) connects youth from around the world to find inspiration, information and get involved in improving their local, regional and global communities. The online community has over 400,000 members from around the world.
TakingITGlobal’s mission is to provide opportunities for learning, capacity building, cross-cultural awareness, and self-development through the use of Information and Communication Technologies. Its key strategic initiatives include; providing a virtual space for cross-cultural expression, dialogue, networking and collaboration among youth, supporting youth action and understanding around global issues, developing rich interactive, global education experiences, and facilitating the development of local content, multilingualism and skills training.
TakingITGlobal has approximately 20 staff based in Toronto and an additional 20 staff who work part-time in different parts of Canada and around the world as well as hundreds of volunteers. Supporters include RBC Financial Group, Microsoft, Google, the Government of Canada, the McConnell Foundation and Gordon Foundation.
Our Virtual Volunteers are a vital part of the organization – without them the site would not remain updated with the latest opportunities for youth and youth-created content!
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com . We thank all candidates for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications and inquiries we receive; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.